Start off right, get industry-standard audio with this podcast equipment guide for professionals. Alternatively, choose audio gear more suited to you:
- Beginners: Budget equipment for those just getting started.
- Intermediates: Take your setup to the next level with options for multiple guests.
- Professionals: High-end equipment needed to make your shows sound awesome.
Industry-Standard Podcast Equipment Guide for Professionals
- Microphone - Probably the most straightforward, your microphone is what you will speak into to record your voice. For Intermediate level, we’d recommend getting an XLR microphone for better sound quality.
- Mixer - The key element to your recordings. You connect your microphone to a mixer and from there you can adjust volume levels, put a few effects on the voice or apply compression so that you get nice even volume levels.
- Headphones - Another pretty straightforward one, headphones are used for monitoring your audio output. Plug them into your mixer and listen to how your audio is sounding carefully. We recommend over ear, closed back headphones for good sound isolation.
- Boom Arm - Not essential but extremely useful, a boom arm will not only help you to keep a clear recording space but it also makes it easier to position your microphone exactly where you need it to be.
- Shock Mount - Shock mounts reduce the amount of vibrations and handling noise the microphone may pick up.
- Pop Filter - Pop filters come in a few different types, which we investigated here! Essentially, they act as a barrier between your mouth and the microphone, dispersing your breath and reducing the chance of plosives hitting the mic.
Professional Audio Equipment
Audio gear mentioned in this podcast equipment guide for professional is aimed at top-level podcasters, but there's something for everyone here.
Shure SM7B Microphone
The Shure SM7B is an extremely good quality dynamic microphone, with a few extra features to it. It has been optimised to cancel out any broadband interference from computers nearby, and to reduce any electromagnetic hum. It also has a built in pop filter to help eliminate any plosive noises as you record. As it's a dynamic mic, you will need to add a bit of gain on a pre-amp though.
Behringer Xenyx X2442USB
The Behringer Xenyx X2442USB is an incredibly versatile mixer, with 8 mono channels, 8 stereo channels, and a USB connection so you can connect it up to your computer DAW easily. With their ‘one-knob compression’ it makes it easier to control the amount of compression per channel, giving you nice even volume levels across your channels, and they even offer an effects rack of 16 effects, including reverb, delay, flanger and much more.
Audio Technica ATH M70X Headphones
The ATH M70X are the flagship model of the M-Series for Audio Technica, and for a good reason. Critically acclaimed, these over ear headphones offer superb sound isolation, meaning you can monitor sound with greater accuracy. The ear cups and headband are also padded with professional grade materials, making them both durable and comfortable for longer recording sessions. They also come with a carry case and three different types of cable; one coiled (1.2 - 3.0m) and two straight (1.2m & 3.0m).
Rycote InVision USM Shock Mount
Blue The Pop Universal Pop Filter
Blue is well-known for creating a wide-range of very reliable products as well as their microphones. The Pop is no exception to this. It’s universal, so it will easily suit any microphone, and with it’s gooseneck holder, you can easily adjust the position of it to suit your needs. Also, as it’s built with metal, it’s durability is fantastic compared to most other pop filters.
sE Electronics RF Pro Reflexion Filter
For those who want to go that little bit extra, the sE RF Pro is a type of microphone screen created from cuts of acoustic foam. This acts as a surface for the audio of your voice to reflect off of, back into the microphone, as well as it absorbing any ambient noise from your surroundings and cushioning any plosives. The RF Pro can really help to sharpen your audio and remove any present room tones.